INTERACTING TOOL TO EXPLORE THE GOVERNANCE IN THE FIELD OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOP
Within AlpGov project, AG1 has been working to carry out an applied research project that returned a comprehensive analysis of the main patterns and the major differences characterizing policy formulation for R&I in the EUSALP area. The research team has surveyed the literature, documents and data in English and in all the Alpine languages in order to get the most comprehensive view and support with indications and guidelines the process of harmonization among the 48 regions. In addition, in order to back the discussion on future EU Cohesion Policy, deliverables and papers produced to implement Action 1 suggest capitalizing on research and innovation strategic priorities outlined by almost all regions in Europe within the Research & Innovation Smart Specialization Strategy (RIS3).
The objective of this analysis is to introduce a valuable and original categorization of RIS3 priorities, applying it to classify EU regions’ RIS3 and suggesting a comparative analysis across EU regions and macro-regions. This will serve the identification of common challenges and specific topics of Alpine relevance that can be prioritized across regional and national governments. Indeed, RIS3 should be conceived as place-based economic transformation agendas that could support AG1 in stimulating evidence-based policies encouraging innovation and experimentation.
What has been achieved?
Grounded on information available at Eye@RIS3, which is built by the EC-Joint Research Centre and populated by regions, AG1 studies elaborated automatic text analysis of the priorities (in both free text and encoded format). They provided a powerful multidimensional perspective on RIS3s, describing the current state of diversification across regions and underlining the potential complementarities and synergies that might support territorial integrated development paths. This tool has recently integrated into the Platform of Knowledge (PoK) on EUSALP website. The main outputs of this research are:
- Socioeconomic comparative analysis of regions in the EU-28
- RIS3 in macroregional strategies: tools to design and monitor integrated territorial development paths
- Perspectives on RIS3s: a classification of topics emerging from automatic text analysis
Coherence with EUSALP Action Plan:
The initiative is fully in line with the EUSALP Action Plan, in particular with the objectives of the 1st thematic policy area “economic growth and innovation”. In fact, with this strategic action, AG1 has contributed to fulfil one of the key pre-conditions towards a EUSALP R&I Strategy.
The following scientific papers, databases and interactive tool derived from the study promoting dissemination and knowledge implementation on EUSALP framework and the other macro-regions:
- SCIENTIFIC PAPERS
- Russo, M., Pagliacci, F., Pavone, P., & Giorgi, A. (2019). RIS3 in macroregional strategies: tools to design and monitor integrated territorial development paths. In ESPON Scientific Conference “Building the Next Generation of Research on Territorial Development”, London (Vol. 14).
- Pagliacci, F., Russo, M., Pavone, P., Giorgi, A. (2019). Regional structural heterogeneity: Evidence and policy implications for RIS3 in macro-regional strategies, Regional Studies. DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2019.1635689;
- Pavone, P., Russo, M., Pagliacci, F., Giorgi, A. (2019). R&I smart specialisation strategies: classification of EU regions’ priorities. Results from automatic text analysis. DEMB WORKING PAPER SERIES n.148.ISSN: 2281-440X;
- Russo, M., Pagliacci F., Pavone, P., Giorgi, A. (2019). RIS3 in macro-regional strategies: tools to design and monitor integrated territorial development paths. DEMB WORKING PAPER SERIES n.145.ISSN: 2281-440X;
- Russo, M., Pavone, P., Pagliacci, F., Righi, S., Giorgi, A. (2019). Detecting multidimensional clustering across EU regions. Focus on R&I smart specialisation strategies and on socio-economic and demographic conditions. DEMB WORKING PAPER SERIES n.142. ISSN: 2281-440X;
- Scagliarini, S. (2018). The allocation of responsabilities between the central state and local authorities in the countries of the alpine area. DEMB WORKING PAPER SERIES n.125. ISSN: 2281-440X.
- Pagliacci, F., Pavone, P., Russo, M., Giorgi, A. (2019). Socioeconomic classification of EU regions. DOI:10.25431/11380_1177860;
- Pagliacci, F., Pavone, P., Russo, M., Giorgi, A. (2019). R&I smart specialisation strategies and on socio-economic and demographic conditions. DOI:10.25431/11380_1177861;
- Pavone, P., Russo, M., Pagliacci, F., Giorgi, A. (2019). R&I smart specialisation strategies: classification of EU regions’ priorities. DOI 10.25431/11380_1177858.
- An interactive tool for policy makers, stakeholders, researchers and public, elaborated with Tableau and freely accessible for personalized queries and download